The Beylerbeyi* Paranoia: Of Muslim Resurgence And Order In The Modern World (Part I)
(*The Beylerbeyi Palace, as per the title, is the last custody of Sultan Hamid II where he spent his last days studying, carpentering and writing his memoirs as the last Sultan of the Ottoman Empire to hold absolute power, before died on 10 February 1918)
“My Lord I know you are the Dear One (Al-Aziz)
… And no one but you are the Dear One
You are the One, and nothing else
My God take my hand in these hard times
My God be my helper in this critical hour”
– Sultan Abdul Hamid II
The New World
On September 2015, NASA confirmed they successfully traced source of perchlorate salt, by blackening trace of sand (due to wetting) on Mars and unjustifiably, prove of evidence of presence of human basic life need; water. Countless surveyors and rovers were sent just to identify this holy grail of life, and voila, they finally found it!
It is essential at this moment for Muslims to seriously reflect; where are the Muslims, when this significant event of humankind happened, and needless to mention countless previous historical events humankind have already witnessed. In the later decades, NASA will eventually decide to send their astronauts to Mars, marking our first ever space colonization, and behind those helmets, and the badges that they stitched on their shoulders, will there be anything related to Islam whatsoever? The new world with Islam, is it even possible when the Muslims themselves are out of reach? Or we will just become nothing but another stranger in this possible brand new “earth”?
The Messenger Muhammad (saw) said:
“Islam began as something strange; and it will return as something strange. Paradise is for the Strangers.” His companions (ra) then asked: ‘who are the Strangers, oh Rasool-Allah?’ He (saw) replied: ‘Those who forbid the evil when the people become corrupted.’”
This article will be oriented based on 4 headings; The Islamic Struggle, Intrinsic Factors: Al-Wahan, The Muslim World Order: Ummah, Colonization and Nationalism, and Contemporary Islam Challenges and Opportunities.
The Islamic Struggle: Where Are We Exactly?
Ever feel that as a Muslim, you are lost, and you just unsure where this ummah stand in the eyes of the world? With so much issues surrounding us, it is so hard by simply becoming a Muslim, whilst other religion have the liberty to do as they please? Why the hardship? The pity and thoughts spared against any Muslim predicament is just not “as valuable” as the non-Muslim. Take the French Bataclan terrorism for example, leaders of the world marched and grieved for the poor souls, and unfortunately things were not the same when it comes to any other humanitarian issues related to Muslim world, particularly the flooding of the global newsfeed of such have caused most of us to become desensitized, and developed some sort of morale tolerance. In this context, it is important for us to remain in solidarity towards any cause that can benefit this ummah.
To understand our position in this New World Order (NWO), it is essential to first grasp the trajectory of the Muslim world civilisation; the Hijjaz, Khulafa’ Ar-Rashidin, Muslim glory (Umayyad and Abbasid empire), gradual Muslim decline (Ottoman empire), rise of the West, the takeover of Muslim world by Western imperial powers, the anticolonial struggle and finally, the contemporary resentment against Western neo-imperialism, control and interventionism.
The turning stone of this in particular, stemming from atrophy and eventual death of Islamic vigor and curiosity; an exhaustion of civilizational élan without any promising predecessor to relive the legacy. Thinking ossified, until to extent that any related Muslim historical scripts and texts came under scrutiny. Western civilization flourished and Muslim World poled into passivity towards any scientific and technological developments, now more than ever. According to century historian and philosopher Ibn Khaldun, this is the third generation nature of a cyclic dynasties natural lifespan, where the dynasty decayed, the leaders and viziers are immersed by luxury and pleasure that the state cannot protect itself from internal and external threats due to negligence of rulers.
Imperialism, colonialism, and nationalism if not, delivered the greatest impact on the Muslims community worldwide, caustic towards identity polarization, and maintaining constant siege on Muslims themselves. Saidina Ali ra, once quoted by his saying, “An organized conspirators can deliberately destroys unorganized ummah”. Syakib Ar-Salan, in his infamous statement of post-Ottoman far cry on unification of Muslims “To gather a series of zero figure is just meaningless”. Muslims have an expanding role regarding their identity globally, it is paramount to the priority matter of life and death. An Iraqi Sunni in Shiite Baghdad neighbourhood during US occupation might find Sunni identity to be a life and death matter, whilst an Iraqi identity mattered little. Nevertheless the prominence of Muslim identity primarily emerges in the time of hardship, unequivocally emphasized its followers to stay in this treacherous road thus minimizing the slanders this ummah has already piled upon.
“Truly whoever lives after me will witness contradictions, thus it is a must for thou to hold on the Sunnah and the Sunnah of Khulafa’ Ar Rasyidin which have been qualified after me. Hold on to it and bite it with thy molar, and stay away from thy fake religions, for that it is nothing but bid’ah, and all bid’ah are blasphemy” – Hadeeth cited Ahmad,Abu Dawud,Tirmidzi,Dzahabi and Hakim, verified by Syaikh Al-Albani in Shahih Al jami’ no. 2549
Muslim Intrinsic Factors: The Al-Wahan
Syeikh Amir Syakib Ar Salan wrote concisely in his infamous book entitled “Why Muslims Are Left Behind Whilst Others Are Advancing” discussing the plague crippling this ummah to the abyss of dullness and passivity.
- First, Muslims are not practicing accordingly Al-Quran and As-Sunnah, for which these are the essentials for a Muslim identity and self-development process. Rasulullah saw in one of his hadith clearly annotate what he left for this ummah is none other than Al-Quran and As-Sunnah, so as to make sure the Muslims are on track and not lost, moreover in this grave period where slandering and assault towards Muslims identity has been aggressive and relentless.
And the Messenger has said, “O Lord, indeed my people have taken this Quran as [a thing] abandoned”. Al-Furqan: 30
In depth of this problem, Ibn Taimiyyah said “Whoever do not read Al-Quran, actually he distanced himself from one, and whoever read Al-Quran but never interrelates the content, thus he distanced himself from one, and whoever read Al-Quran and interrelates the content but never practices it, thus he actually distanced himself from one”. Certainly in this context it depends on the ability of reader to digest and interpret the Quran itself. Thus, discussion and learning process should always be supervised and controlled by qualified teachers and Imams with undisputed intellectual discipline so that learning process is not concussive and driven by self-motivation only, on to which a more serious problem can occur, such as the anti-hadith movement and moderate Muslims.
2. Secondly, division and separation clearly costs this ummah up to the extent that by time, more and more so-called Islamic movement established day by day. This problem should be taken seriously as the conspirators and anti-Islam entity can clearly dissipate through the cracks of Muslims brotherhood themselves, masked by Islamic identity and lifestyle, but driven by hidden agenda. These people will try to hamper Islamic resurgence and acting like auto-antibodies, attacking the vital of Muslims unity and ensure constant separation and intrinsic conflict to occur.
“In the future my people will be divided just like the Jews and Christians to become 73 factions, all of which will be damned to Hell, except the one following my teachings and the sahabat” – Rasulullah saw hadith
Clearly, the current colonization attempt in Palestine and internal conflict happening in Middle East is caused by nothing but the kuffar and illegal settlers of Israel, but if these cracks of Muslim division were deemed to be resolved earlier with uncompromised and constant vigilance, this current predicament will not incite to happen and latter causing endemic towards the global Muslim community.
“And hold firmly to the rope of Allah all together and do not become divided. And remember the favour of Allah upon you – when you were enemies and He brought your hearts together and you became, by His favour; brothers. And you were on the edge of pit of the Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus does Allah make clear to you His verses that you may be guided” – Ali Imraan: 103
3. The third cause is because the Muslims nowadays blinded by temporary earthly enjoyment and afraid to die for Islamic cause and future beyond them.
The Messenger said, “You will be savaged towards foreign factions, just like people served with plate of foods. The sahabat asked, “Will our figure a lot less when this fated time comes?” He replied “No, even so my people will be quantitatively more, compared to nothing but foams of the sea, Allah will alleviate fear against the non-believers and you will be affected by the Al-Wahan disease”. “What is this Al-Wahan you are talking about O Messenger?” He thus replied, “Love towards earthly lusts, and afraid to die”. – Hadeeth cited Abu Dawud.
The Westphalian grasped this very concept of sacrifice towards the betterment, and hold to the slogan “Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum”, translated as, “to obtain peace, we have to prepare for war”. Unfortunately, the social media framed the concept of Jihad is nothing but Islamic terrorism, hindering any possibility towards the call for blood. The World War I and II witnessed the fall of Ottoman empire and division of African Muslim countries, with some have been annexed towards the colonials e.g. Algeria. This very fall of Muslim union enabled Westphalian power to scourge Muslim countries resources, leaving behind nothing but bare lands and demoralized, broken people. It is up to the recent and future generations to wake up from deep slumber and emerge victorious as to place Islam to its belonged supremacy and saviour for humankind.
O Prophet, urge the believers to battle. If there are among you twenty [who are] steadfast, they will overcome two hundred. And if there are among you one hundred [who are steadfast], they will overcome a thousand of those who have disbelieved because they are a people who do not understand – Al-Anfaal: 65
4. The fourth cause is said to be due to loss of willingness of Jihad. It is compulsory for Muslim individually to understand that Jihad means one should strive in the path and will of Allah swt. Depending on the circumstances – and various eras and regions, the relative emphasis has differed widely – the believer might fulfil his jihad “by his heart; his tongue; his hands; or by the sword”. The spectra nowadays contemplates that Muslim not just unable to wage a war, but even the effect of mass media inciting the context of Jihad towards a narrow and barbaric practical sense of terrorism. It is important to understand this, as the vanguard of Muslim identity should be based on the earlier mentioned Al-Quran and hadeeth, not some illiterate transposition of social media and denudated rhetoric perspective only. To imagine the inability to wage war and severed further by loss of hope and motivation is just a sad sight to begin with.
Indeed Allah has purchased from the believers their live and their properties [in exchange] that they will have Paradise. They will fight in the cause of Allah, so they kill and are killed. [It is] a true promise [binding] upon Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Quran. And who is truer to his covenant than Allah? So rejoice in your transaction which you have contracted. And it is that which the greatest attainment is. – At Tauba: 111
There are even more countless causes to be described further, but above all, a Muslim must understand clearly the diagnosis plaguing this ummah. The stride towards betterment must not be narrowed into direct conception of Muslim country, but the very basic identity of Muslim themselves. A Muslims, as said by Ustaz Mustafa Masyhur, delineates the basic 10 qualities a Muslim should borne, which as follows: Harmony of Faith, Knowledgeable, Distinct Morale, Proper Time Management, Proper Self-Management, Validity in Ibadah, Healthy Body, Self-Reliance, Suppressing Lust, and finally Be Useful Towards Others.
To Be Continued…
MUHAMMAD AKMAL BIN MAZENI
TAHUN 4, YENEPOYA COLLEGE OF DENTAL SCIENCES MANGALORE
AKTIVIS IKATAN MUSLIMIN MALAYSIA (ISMA) INDIA
- Al-Quranul Kareem
- Majmu’ Ar-Rasa’il, Imam Hassan Al-Banna, Pustaka Salam, 2003
- Ma’alim Fi At-Tariq, As-Syahid Syed Qutb, Crescent News, 1999
- Abu Al- A’la Al-Maududi, Asas-Asas Islam.
- Mustafa Masyhur, Jalan Dakwah.
- Lost Islamic History, Firas Al-Khateeb, Hurst & Company, 2014
- A World Without Islam, Graham E. Fuller, Back Bay Books, 2010
- World Order, Henry Kissinger, Penguin Allen Lane, 2014
- European Colonialism and the Emergence of Modern Muslim States, S.V.R. Nasr, http://www.oxfordislamicstudies.com/article/book/islam-9780195107999/islam-9780195107999-chapter-13?_hi=5&_pos=6
- Contemporary Islam: Challenges and Opportunities, John L. Esposito, http://www.oxfordislamicstudies.com/article/book/islam-9780195107999/islam-9780195107999-chapter-15
- Qur’an dan Sunnah: Agama itu Nasehat, https://qurandansunnah.wordpress.com/2009/05/20/gigitlah-sunnah-ini-dengan-gigi-gerahammu/
- NASA Confirms Evidence That Liquid Water Flows on Today’s Mars, https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-confirms-evidence-that-liquid-water-flows-on-today-s-mars
- Mengapa Ummat Islam Mundur dan Ummat Selain Islam Maju? , Syeikh Syakib Ar-Salan, Agus Nizami, http://media-islam.or.id/2008/02/22/mengapa-ummat-islam-mundur-dan-ummat-selain-islam-maju/
- Who are al-Ghurabaa’ (the Strangers)? , http://islamicthinkers.com/welcome/?p=252